Basically I work with a bunch of rad women at the DePaul Art Museum, and they inspire me near every day I work with them. (Surprise if you didn’t know, dudes!) I won’t get into the feminism, philosophy, and art history discussions that challenge my perspective each week, but something a bit more basic, perhaps. That is, they’re pretty great cooks. And by that I mean they don’t live off of noodles and pesto, frozen pizza, and pretzels and hummus.
Following their example to try to make my body happier and healthier I had my co-workers Amy and Sarah help me construct a grocery list of things I should always have in my fridge/pantry. Then I went to Trader Joe’s, bought said items off the list. After some light internet searching I came up with this simple recipe quinoa salad with kale, avocado, and an over easy egg. Um, yes.
Anyway, here’s the recipe and some pics. And cheers to trying to act like an adult!
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- a bunch of kale, any kind
- 1 small avocado (or 1/2 a large one)
- an egg
- olive oil (the recipe I found said an 1/8 cup, but I used more)
- 2-3 TBS lemon juice
- hot sauce/garlic salt optional
- Toss the kale, some olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 350* for 12-ish minutes
- Cook yo’ quinoa, put in a bowl.
- Then mix the 1/8 cup+ olive oil with the lemon juice and salt n pepper. Pour this mixture over the quinoa and stir it up.
- Cut the avocado into cubes and coat with lemon juice and salt and pepper, too.
- Cook an egg either sunny side up or over easy (I can never do sunny side up correctly).
- Pile it all up (avocado on top of the quinoa, the kale on top of the avocado, egg on top of it all).
- Then if feeling spicy, add some hot sauce on top and perhaps even some garlic salt. I love the garlic salt.
- Devour in less than 5 minutes into the episode of Orange is the New Black you’re on.